Re: General Questions, what i'm into and Re: Off Topic: Some advice before I move from Cambridge to Heidelberg please

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 06:58:08PM +0000, Darren Sharman wrote:
> I have also investigated DSL, I'm not sure its available in Nussloch
> yet, although ISDN is apparently.

T-DSL should be available there. Whether you can have Arcor is more
questionable. Usually, you can only find out if a service is available
when you already have a phone number at your site.

> Anyone know if flatrate is available for ISDN ?

Generally, no. Some DSL companies will provide you with a ISDN
flatrate if they have sold you DSL but cannot deliver, though.

> One other question that springs to mind is that I need to buy some
> computer bits ASAP when I arrive in Germany, does anyone know of a good
> but cheap supplier of components? I'm thinking of building an AMD64
> system with some nice SATA drives to replace my server that just died.

Arlt.com is a quite ok retailer with a shop in Heidelberg, but you
should consider mail order as well. Germany is generally known as
"service desert", so if you need to try things, you're better of with
mail ordering stuff since you can return mail ordered stuff in 14 days
while most retail stores say "you bought, you keep it".

> Do you UUGRN linux guys have a regular get together or meeting to
> discuss all things linux ?

Yes.

> Currently i'm looking into setting up a SIP server so I can make cheap
> phone calls back to the UK.

Telephone long-distance and international is dirt-cheap in Germany, so
I suspect that the effort is not worth it if you're only out for
saving money. But it looks like you're interested in the technology as
well, so by all means go ahead with VoIP.

Greetings
Marc